HistoryMiami Museum, a Smithsonian Affiliate located in downtown Miami, safeguards and shares Miami stories to foster learning, inspire a sense of place, and cultivate an engaged community. Through exhibitions, artistic endeavors, city tours, education, research, collections, and publications, HistoryMiami Museum works to help everyone understand the importance of the past in shaping Miami’s future. HistoryMiami Museum connects people by telling the stories of Miami’s communities, individuals, places, and events.
The museum maintains its core exhibition, Tropical Dreams, and two semi-permanent galleries, History & Ourselves and South Florida Folklife Gallery, in addition to a yearly calendar of temporary exhibitions dedicated to telling Miami’s stories. The Exhibition Designer will join the Exhibitions team, under the supervision of the Curator of Exhibitions, and will collaborate with museum staff, guest curators, and community members to create innovative, inclusive, and accessible exhibitions.
- Design development from concept through final drawings, including exhibition architecture, casework, graphic elements, audio/visual components, and interactives.
- Assist with construction and installation of exhibition elements as necessary.
- Provide support for other museum design needs.
A competitive candidate for this position:
- Has experience designing narrative-based exhibitions for museums or other cultural institutions.
- Is proficient in Sketchup, AutoCAD, or another 3D modeling program and possesses the ability to render detailed construction drawings.
- Is prepared to discuss design concepts clearly and accurately with the museum’s Exhibitions team.
- Possesses the technical knowledge necessary to communicate construction parameters to staff and contractors responsible for building the exhibition.
- Has knowledge of ADA requirements and museum standards as well as universal design principles.
- Thrives when working as part of a diverse team.
Full time, exempt.
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume, portfolio demonstrating your qualifications, and contact information for references to Christopher Barfield, Curator of Exhibitions (email@example.com) Subject: Exhibition Designer. Please be advised we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the position. No calls, please. The deadline to apply is January 14, 2022.
HistoryMiami Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.