- This event has passed.
“Following the Steps of the Orishas: Afro-Cuban Spirituality in Urban Spaces” Academic Conference
08/17/2017 @ 1:00 pm – 7:30 pm
IFE-ILE Afro-Cuban Dance Company and HistoryMiami Museum present: “Following the Steps of the Orishas: Afro-Cuban Spirituality in Urban Spaces,” an academic conference in conjunction with the IFE-ILE Afro-Cuban Dance Festival.
FREE and open to the public. RSVP here.
1:00PM – 1:30PM Keynote Speaker: Dr. Keshia Abraham, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, Chair of the Humanities Department, Director of International Education, Associate Professor of English, Florida Memorial University.
1:30PM – 2:45PM Panel Discussion: Transformations and Challenges in Religious Practice
- Time Capsules of African Identity by Yesenia Fernandez Selier
- Ifa and Santeria: Myth, Change, and Reality by Victor Betancourt
- The Gorilla in the Room: Race, Syncretism, and the Future of Animal Sacrifice by Dr. Danielle N. Boaz
- Ocha en la Función Reflexiva de la Cultura Occidental by Ignacio T. Granados Herrera
- Irin Ajo ( The Sacred Journey) by Prince Emmanuel Abiodun Aderele
3:00PM – 3:45PM Panel Discussion: Empowerment through Embodiment of the Goddess
- Warrior Girls: Oya as a Source of Values for Young Women Surviving Trauma by Dr. Celeste Landeros
- Oshun: A Cross Cultural Experience in the Classroom by A’Keitha Carey
- Olujimi: Manifestation of the Female Energies by Michelle Grant-Murray
4:00PM – 4:45PM Panel Discussion: Exploring Socio-Cultural Contexts of Choreography
- Deconstruyendo Aarquetipos: Memoria, Espiritualidad y Manipulacion Creativa by Neri Torres
- Santeria: Influencias Socio-Culturales by Juinier Quintero
- Affects of Space: Site-Specificity and Narrative in Contemporary Choreography by Niurca Marquez
5:00PM – 5:45PM Panel Discussion: Regla de Ocha and Multidisciplinary Approaches
- The Shine in the Eyes of the Naked by Adrian Castro
- Color in Cuban Santeria: Artist’s Talk by Leandro Soto
- Representation of the Orisha in Visual Art by Dr. Grisel Pujala
6:00PM – 6:30PM Closing Session: Dr. Mercedes Cros Sandoval, professor emeritus in the Department of Social Sciences at Miami Dade College, Adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the Miller School of Medicine of the University of Miami
7:00PM – 7:30PM Performance: IFE-ILE Afro-Cuban Dance Company
By entering the premises, you consent to interview(s), photography, audio recording, video recording and its/their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, web casts, promotional purposes, telecasts, advertising, inclusion on web sites, or any other purpose by HistoryMiami Museum (HMM) and its affiliates and representatives. You release HistoryMiami Museum (HMM) its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitizing, or publication of interviews, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings. By entering the premises, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any exhibition, streaming, webcasting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose or sponsoring of such exhibiting, broadcasting, webcasting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee for admission or sponsorship is charged. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by HistoryMiami Museum (HMM) or the person or entity designated to do so by HistoryMiami Museum (HMM) You have been fully informed of your consent, waiver of liability, and release before entering the premise.